Oral health is one factor that contributes to a healthy lifestyle. Here are 5 tips to help you look after your oral health.
- Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Check your mouth regularly to become familiar with what is normal for you. This will help you recognize when something in your mouth looks or feels different or abnormal.
- Avoid activities that might harm your mouth or teeth such as smoking, oral piercings and recreational drugs
- Try to reduce the impact stress has on your oral and overall health.
Between dental visits check your mouth for warning signs of gum disease and oral cancer.
Warning signs of gum disease may include:
- puffy, red, sore, shiny or sensitive gums
- bleeding when you brush or floss
- bad breath that won’t go away
Warning signs of oral cancer may include:
- numbness and tingling
- open sores that don’t go away within a week to 10 days
- unexplained bleeding
- lumps or thickening on the bottom or sides of your tongue, cheeks, or roof of your mouth
If you notice any of these signs, or have any concerns, please call our office: (613) 233-1594.